Unfortunately, yes! Picking up secondhand furniture is one of the most common ways bed bugs are spread. (The other is travelling.)
You never know why your neighbour tossed out a perfectly good-looking couch. Maybe it’s simply that they bought a new living room set and don’t need their old one… but there’s also a chance that bed bugs are lurking in the seams of that couch. Unless you know for sure that the item in question is coming from a source you trust, make sure you give it a very thorough bed bug inspection before you even consider taking it home.
What sort of things should you look for? Here’s a quick list:
- Look for shells, stains and eggs. Bed bugs leave behind traces, even if you can’t spot signs of bed bugs themselves. Look for molted skins, bloodstains and tiny white eggshells that will indicate the presence of bed bugs. For a list of things to look for read our blog on spotting the signs of bed bugs.
- Is it upholstered? Upholstered furniture is much more likely to be hiding bed bugs. Wooden or metal furniture tends to be safer, but there are no guarantees! Make sure you check everything!
- Check the seams. Bed bugs like to hide in cracks and crevices, so naturally they gravitate to hiding in seams.
- Check inside the item. An outer visual inspection is all well and good, but bed bugs are sneaky. They like to hide, so if you’re going to spot them, you need to be thorough. Take off cushions and carefully inspect any cracks, crevices or carving work for signs of bed bugs.
- Don’t trust secondhand stores. Sure they may seem more trustworthy than grabbing something from the curb, but secondhand stores don’t necessarily vet all their furniture before they take it. You should take charge and ensure it’s safe, rather than taking anyone’s word for it.
Don’t fall victim to bed bugs, by bringing a piece of secondhand furniture into your home without giving it a very thorough bed bug inspection first. Remember, preventing bed bugs from getting into your home is much easier than bed bug removal!
If you believe a piece of secondhand furniture might be the cause of your bed bug infestation, call the Toronto bed bug removal experts! Magical Pest Control specializes in safe and effective Toronto bed bug removal, no matter how severe the infestation. Clients across the province trust us for all their bed bug removal needs. Call our Toronto bed bug removal division at (905) 738-6676 or fill out our contact form for a free consultation.