You’ve followed the bed bug detection steps and dealt with the bad news – now it’s time to prepare for your bed bug extermination. When getting ready for bed bug removal, it’s essential to know how to properly wash your clothing and bedding to get those pests to go away and stay away. Here are 9 steps that will show you how to wash your clothes and sheets when getting rid of bed bugs.
- ONE: Start by removing your clothing from your drawers, closets, hampers and other storage units. Strip all beds of their sheets too.
- TWO: Transfer items into sealed containers or sealed garbage bags to prevent bed bugs from spreading to non-infested areas when you transport the containers to your laundry premises.
- THREE: You now have two choices. Your first is to launder items in the washing machine, then to dry them. Your second is to run them in the dryer only. Regardless of which procedure you use to treat bed bugs, empty your clothing and sheets directly into your selected machine.
- FOUR: If you are using the washing machine, launder your belongings in water warmer than 60°C. Cold water will not kill bed bugs or their eggs. Next, put your clean clothes and sheets in the dryer on high for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- FIVE: If you choose to use the dryer only option when getting rid of bed bugs, make sure your dryer can attain a temperature of more than 40°C, and do not load the machine to more than 50% capacity.
- SIX: Immediately discard the plastic bags you initially used to transport your items to the laundry facilities. Toss them in an outdoor garbage bin as they may contain bed bugs.
- SEVEN: When the cycles are complete, place your clean laundry in unused garbage bags and seal them.
- EIGHT: How you proceed in your next bed bug removal treatment step will depend on what type of bed bug treatment you’ve chosen from your bed bug exterminator. Magical Pest Control recommends a heat treatment, however you may opt for freezing or chemical treatments as well.
- A) If your bed bug extermination is a chemical bed bug treatment, keep your clothes out of your home for the bed bug removal. Laundering is therefore a critical component of getting rid of bed bugs.
- B) If your bed bug exterminator is using ThermaPureHeat or Cryonite to treat bed bugs, you can return your washed bedding and clothing to the treatment area.
- NINE: Once your bed bug treatment has been performed, do your best to keep your clothes and sheets in sealed plastic bags until your follow up session. If you return your clothing to your dressers and closets, they will need to be removed, bagged and washed before your follow up appointment.
Are you concerned about bed bugs? Magical Pest Control is happy help you find out if you have them. Call us at (905) 738-6676, or contact us here. Our professional bed bug exterminators will ensure your home is bed bug free as soon as possible.