The best way to prevent a bed bug problem from happening in your home is to take precautions when you’re most at risk of bringing bed bugs into your home. The two most common ways that a bed bug problem finds its way into your home is through bringing back bed bugs from travelling and accepting second-hand items that are infested.
Read our blogs on checking your second-hand-items for bed bugs. We cover checking second-hand furniture, as well as second-hand clothing. Below, we cover how to take precautions to prevent bed bugs from coming back home with you when you go on vacation.
Inspecting Your Hotel Room For Signs of Bed Bugs
When inspecting for bed bugs there are a few indicators you should be looking for. You can look for signs of bed bugs themselves, but since they’re nocturnal, they can be elusive. Bed bugs are small, round and brown. They are approximately the size of an apple seed, when full grown. Contrary to myth, they are visible to the human eye.
Other signs of bed bugs include:
- Red or black blood spots
- Molted skins, which can be light brown or white
- Bed bug eggs, which are about 1mm, sticky and white
Bed bugs are expert hiders so make sure to be thorough when checking for them.
Check these spots:
- Bed linens and mattress. Be sure to check along the seams and creases.
- Headboard and bed frame. Carvings and detail work are good hiding places for bed bugs.
- Carpets. Pay close attention to carpet edges.
- Moulding. Check crown moulding, as well as any floor trim.
- Surrounding furniture. Bed bugs like to stay nearby their human meals. They can hide out in nightstands, dressers and closets.
- Electronics. Bed bugs have been found in lamps, alarm clocks and other electronics.
When doing your bed bug inspection, make sure to carefully check all of these places in your hotel room before you settle in. If you spot any signs of bed bugs, alert the hotel immediately and request another room. When it comes to bed bugs, you’re better off exercising caution, as once you bring them home, they’re difficult to eliminate without professional help.
If you suspect you’ve brought bed bugs home from your vacation, Magical Pest Control can help. Our team of trained bed bug exterminators will help you determine the extent of your bed bug problem and the best bed bug treatment to get rid of them for good. Call us at (905) 738-6676 or book an inspection through our contact form.