Good night, sleep tight, and don’t let the bed bugs bite! These childhood warnings have taken on a new meaning to many. According to the National Pest Management Association, bed bug calls have jumped to more than 63% between 2000 and 2004. Over the past 10 years, bed bugs have increased at an average of 50% per year! Bed bug infestations have been getting more and more out of control. Worst of all, without the proper bed bug treatment, these bed bugs can cause some serious harm.
Recognizing Bed Bug Symptoms
Since bed bugs are nocturnal and small, detecting them can be very difficult. The first step to discovering if you have bed bugs is to keep an eye out for bed bug symptoms in your home.
The symptoms of bed bugs include:
- Little blood stains on your sheets
- Dark brown or black spots of dried excrement on your sheets or other areas, like drawers
- Swollen, itchy, bumps on your body that last a couple of days (these are bed bug bites!) They may look very similar to mosquito bites, but often appear in triangular patterns.
- If you ignore the bed bug symptoms and do not get the right bed bug treatment, there can be consequences. In rare cases, bed bug bites can be serious. Serious bed bug bites can cause:
- Breathing is difficult
- Heartbeat is forceful or irregular
- Tongues swollen
- Infection from scratching
- Anemia (rare, but can happen when a person gets bed bug bites)
It’s always better to be safe than sorry! Get rid of bed bugs, and call a professional extermination team as soon as you spot bed bug bites, or any other signs of bed bugs.
Take a look at images of bed bug bites here, so you know what to look for!
The Importance of getting rid of bed bugs and getting the right treatment
Bed bugs aren’t easily removed, especially without the correct treatment. Unlike most insects that will die after a few weeks without food, bed bugs can live up to 18 months without feeding, or over a year! Bed bugs can enter your home through luggage, clothing, or furniture. Ignoring bed bugs in hopes that they’ll go away on their own is especially dangerous. A female bed bug can produce 5 eggs in one day, which equals to 35 bed bug eggs in a week! Getting rid of bed bugs as soon as you spot them is the best thing to do for you and your family.
Some reasons to why you should get bed bug treatments include:
- Avoid getting rashes and bruises from bed bug bites
- Keep your children safe from bed bug bites and infection
- Bed bugs will crawl 100m for their meal, which means they are not only in your beds, but can be on your dresser, baby crib, sofas, TV, and chairs
It’s essential that you detect bed bugs as early as possible and to get rid of bed bugs safely and effectively. If you think you may have the bed bug symptoms in your home, don’t wait for the situation to get worse. Call Magical pest to discover the ways we can help you get the right bed bug treatment. Reach us at (905) 738-6676.